How to Choose a Suitable Wall Filler

Choosing a Suitable Wall Filler

Choosing a Suitable Wall Filler Fillers are generally available either as ready-mixed pastes or as powders that are mixed with water.

Setting times are given as a guide, but apply to average conditions. In cold weather setting may take longer, but in hot weather or in a heated room it will be faster.

The following table will help you to choose the right type of filler for the job in hand:




Interior filler (such as Polyfilla Interior Filler)

Cracks or small holes in plaster, wood or masonry inside house.

Available as powder or paste. Cannot be used on damp surfaces. Workable for about 1 hour, sets in 2 hours. When dry can be painted and is strong enough to take screws. Fillers described as ‘fine’ are stronger and not affected by damp.

One-coat ready-mixed plaster (such as Polyplasta

For all internal plaster repairs, cracks and holes.

A lightweight, tubbed, ready-mixed plaster which can be used to fill holes up to 2in (50mm) deep in one application. Easy to get smooth.

Exterior filler (such as Polyfilla Exterior Filler)

Cracks or holes in outside masonry. Can also be used to re-point brickwork

Cement-based powder; tough and resistant to weather after about 24 hours. Workable for about 45 minutes, sets in about 2 hours. Can be painted or left bare.

All-purpose filler (such as Tetrion All-purpose Filler)

Cracks and holes in plaster, wood, masonry, glass and metal. Some types are mixed with a diluted adhesive for outside use.

Available as powder or paste. Dries to a tough, slightly flexible, weather-resistant surface that can be painted or left bare, but should not be exposed to permanent wetness or damp. Generally use 2-1/2 parts powder to 1 part water. Workable for up to 1 hour, sets in about 2 hours. Tends to be more expensive than interior or exterior fillers.

Polyester-based metal filler (such as Plastic Padding, Chemical Metal, Isopon)

Cracks in metal such as gutters and downpipes. Can also be used for wood that is to be painted.

Pack contains two ingredients that set chemically when mixed as instructed. Mix only as much as can be applied in 5 minutes. Sets in about 20 minutes in good weather. Use hard types of filler for rigid surfaces, flexible types for bendable.

Epoxy-based wood filler (such as Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler)

Cracks or small holes in wood inside or outside. Flexes with natural expansion and contraction of wood.

Pack contains two ingredients that set chemically when mixed as instructed. Quick-setting, mix only, as much as can be applied about 5 minutes. Sets in 20-30 minutes in good conditions.

Wood filler (such as Rawlplug Plastic Wood)

Cracks or small holes in wood.

An adhesive paste that can be used inside or out and will set after about 10 minutes in good conditions. Available in colours to match various woods.

Frame sealant (such as Dow Corning, Unibond)

Gaps between masonry and woodwork.

Flexible, non-setting rubbery paste applied from container fitted into cartridge gun. Forms a skin after about 4 hours and can then be painted. Available in white and various other colours.

Foam filler (such as Unibond, Dow Corning, Manger Fill & Fix expanding foam)

Holes or gaps in most building materials, such as brickwork round pipes through a wall. Used inside or outside. Also suitable for insulating.

Sticky foam applied to dampened surface from pressure spray. Expensive but convenient for filling hard-to-reach areas. Workable for about 5-7 minutes. Expands to about 60 times its original volume and moulds to shape of surround logs. Forms skin in 1-2 hours. Can then be cut, sanded and painted.

08. December 2010 by admin
Categories: Construction, Decorating, Restoration and repairs | Tags: | Comments Off on How to Choose a Suitable Wall Filler


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: