List of Whisky Distilleries
Scotland’s smallest distillery at Pitlochry, Perthshire. The whisky it produces goes into some of the most famous blends, including ‘House of Lords’ and ‘King’s Ransom’. The staff number three!
This whisky distillery at Longmorn, Elgin, was founded in 1898 by the famous ‘Restless Peter’ Mackie, of White Horse fame. It is on sale as a single malt.
In full, the name of this whisky distillery in Rothes, Morayshire, is Glen Grant-Glenlivet. It was established in 1840 by Major James Grant. Its malt is world-famous and various types, of different proofs and ages, are made. In 1978 it was bought by Seagrams. It is one of the Speyside malts known to be used in the blended Scotch, Queen Anne.
Scotch whisky liqueur, in which herbs, spices and honey are used. It is matured in whisky casks, and is wholly produced and bottled in Scotland.
This Inverness distillery was founded in 1892. It is named after the ‘Great Glen’ and is reported as a full, big whisky.
Whisky distillery at Elgin, owned by Macdonald & Muir.
The distillery was built in 1878; the whisky is described as ‘peaty. . . full of character’. The new stills are exact copies of the old ones. The first spirit flowed from the stills in 1879, on the night when the bridge over the River Tay collapsed in a storm while a train was passing over it.
This Campbeltown whisky distillery was built in 1832 and is described as ‘full, rich, robust and peaty’.
Rothes whisky distillery, built in 1885.
Whisky distillery built in 1967 at Aberlour, Banffshire.
Whisky distillery founded in 1810 – therefore possibly the longest working distillery still in business – at Forres. Owned by Hiram Walker, who use the whisky in their ‘Glencraig’ vatted malt and the ‘Old Smuggler’ blended Scotch.
This whisky distillery at Huntly, Aberdeenshire, was built in 1826. William Teacher have owned it since 1960 and the modernising process has apparently left the floor maltings as they were. Glendronach malt is sold as aged for 8 and 12 years and has a rather fluid but assertive style.
Dufftown whisky distillery, owned by the D.C.L.
Whisky distillery built at Ballindalloch in 1836. Controlled by the Grant family, it produces a single malt that is highly regarded.
This is the only Speyside distillery that bottles its own Scotch and it is still owned by the family of Grant. The first whisky ran from its stills on Christmas Day, 1887. The Grant blend is ‘Standfast’, named for the battle-cry of the Grant clan. Adjacent, the other Grant whisky, Balvenie, is quite different, although both are close together in Dufftown and both draw their water from the same spring.
The former malt barn has been converted into a reception area for visitors, tours are well organised and about 50,000 drams of Scotch are given away annually – no wonder that Glenfiddich is known through the world and is probably the top selling malt. The firm have received the Queen’s Award for In Justry.
This whisky distillery at Old Meldrum, Aberdeenshire, was founded in 1797. It was closed in the 1960s because of lack of water. Since 1972 a single malt bearing its name has been on sale.
This, sometimes referred to as ‘Smith’s Glenlivet’, gets its name from George Smith. He started making – and smuggling – whisky in 1817, but craftily realised that distilling under licence might, long-term, be a more profitable venture. He took out a licence in 1824; this was the origin of The Glenlivet Distillery. This whisky became so popular that others began to use its name and local distilleries sold their produce as the only one until, in 1880, legal action established George Smith’s Glenlivet as the only one. Some other whiskies can add the name ‘Glenlivet’ to their own if they wish. In 1978 The Glenlivet was bought from the family who owned it by the House of Seagram (an offer from the Japanese Suntory having been refused). The whisky is described by Derek Cooper as ‘delicate and full flavoured’: it is certainly a distinguished and aristocratic spirit, whether or not the drinker finds it the outstanding Scotch of the world.
(Stress ‘mor’) This whisky distillery at Tain, Ross-shire, has been producing Scotch since 1842. The word morangie means low level ground. The establishment is run by Macdonald & Muir, who bought it in 1918, and whose descendants still work there. It is described as ‘gentle and delicate’ – certainly a flowing, supple Scotch.
Whisky distillery at Crieff, Perthshire, built in 1775.
Owned by Long John International, this Peterhead whisky distillery was built in 1875.
This Stonehaven whisky distillery, in Kincardineshire, was set up in 1836. The spirit it produces is now mainly used for blending.
Kirkwall whisky distillery on Orkney, sited where the smuggler, Magnus Eunson, operated. (As a preacher, he was able to keep his illicit Scotch under the pulpit!) It is described as ‘malty1, but I particularly like it and find it delicately distinctive and fragrant.
This whisky distillery was first established in 1822, at Tochienial. It was removed to Inchgower in 1871. It now belongs to Arthur Bell.
Liqueur produced by the Tullamore Distillery, according to an Austrian’s recipe (said to be of Irish origin) based on heather honey and whiskey – a type of drink the Distillery had been trying to create as a revival of ‘heather wine’. It is very popular in the U.S.
The Campbells of Jura built this whisky distillery in the middle of the 19th century and the first bottling of Isle of Jura malt was in 1974. George Orwell wrote his novel Animal Farm while staying nearby.
This Glasgow whisky distillery was built by Long John Distillers in 1957.
(Pronounced ‘Laff-royg’ stressing ‘royg’) Whisky distillery at Port Ellen on the Isle of Islay (pronounced ‘Eye-la’), founded in 1820. It still malts its own barley and, until very recently, the head of the distillery was a woman – the only female distiller in Scotland. Laphroaig is now owned by the firm of Long John and it is one of the ingredients in the blended Scotch, islay Mist’. By itself, it is an outstanding whisky, too assertive in flavour and aroma for many. Some people liken the taste to that of iodine, others to cough mixture! It is very ‘big’ with many conjoined fragrances and tastes, slightly evocative of pine and tar to my mind, with a long accelerating flavour. Laphroaig is definitely the type of straight malt Scotch that created the belief that this sort of whisky was too ‘strong’ for people leading rather sedentary, urban lives, but it is an aristocrat of its kind.
Whisky distillery built in 1966, at Alexandria, Dumbartonshire, Scotland. Owned by Barton Distilling.
This whisky distillery at Montrose, Angus in Scotland, was built in 1957. In 1973, it became the property of a Madrid firm.
This Banff whisky distillery was built in 1966 and makes the malt called Glendeveron.
This Inverness whisky distillery was first established in 1807.
Elgin whisky distillery,built in 1824.
This Dufftown distillery dates from 1823 and its whisky is described as ‘full and fruity’. The church of Mortlach is both beautiful and famous as being where, in 1010A.D., Malcolm II defeated an invading force of Danes.
Brechin whisky distillery, established in 1820 in Forfar.
This Falkirk distillery, built in 1824 on a site where whisky was being made in the 18th century, is praised as a typical Lowland malt and a good introduction to this type of Scotch.
Whisky distillery on the Isle of Islay, opened in 1825. Now owned by the D.C.L.
Captain William Fraser established this Nairn whisky distillery in 1812, and King William IV gave it his Royal Warrant in 1835.
Distillery at Balmoral, Aberdeenshire, established in the early 19th century. It is now owned by the D.C.L. In 1848, Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their children visited the establishment, after which the whisky it made was renamed ‘Royal’ Lochnagar.
This distillery at Keith, Banffshire, is one of the oldest in Scotland and was set up in 1786. At one time the whisky itself was sold under the name Strathisla, although the distillery itself was referred to as Milton. In 1950 the House of Seagram bought the premises and changed the name. Some of this whisky goes into their blends, 100 Pipers and Chivas Regal. The malt itself is described as ‘full and fragrant, somewhere between Glenlivet and Mortlach’.
This famous whisky is made at Carbosj in the Isle of Skye and has been in production since 1830, in spite of having been denounced from a local pulpit as ‘one of the greatest curses’. In 1916 it was taken over by the D.C.L. The stills were moved twice before being sited at Carbost; in 1960, they suffered almost total destruction by fire. Its malt is described as light and peaty, but there appears to be some variation, due to the vagaries of the weather on Skye.
The first word means ‘the mill on the hill’.
This distillery, on the Isle of Mull, was built in 1823 and was known as Ledaig. Various problems resulted in its closure in 1924. It opened again – and closed – in 1972. In 1978 a businessman interested in reviving the establishment, renamed it Tobermory but, at the time of writing, the whisky (formerly known in its straight malt form as Old Mull) has not yet appeared on the market.
This distillery at Tomatin in Inverness was built in 1897. It is the largest of all malt distilleries, is owned by an independent company and quoted on the London Stock Exchange – a unique thing among malt distilleries. Much of its whisky goes to Japan for blending.
This whisky distillery went into production in 1965. It is the highest distillery in Scotland and is situated at Ballindalloch, Banffshire.
Distillery, built in the 1960s, was named for a watermill which was once on the site at Ballindalloch, Banffshire. It is owned by Invergordon Distillers.
Most of the whisky made at this Knockando distillery goes for export. It was established in 1897 and belongs to Highland Distilleries.