Paint Brushes, Rollers and Pads

You can put paint onto the many surfaces of your home in several different ways, using brushes, rollers, pads or even spraying equipment. Choosing the right tool is a major step on the route to success.

It’s unlikely you will not at some time or another have wielded a paint brush, but you may not be aware of the range available.

Types of brushes

Brushes are the most versatile paint applicators; a good set will cope with almost every painting requirement and if looked after properly will last a lifetime.

Different types include:

Flat paint brushes:

also known as varnish brushes, these are used to apply solvent-based paints and varnishes where a high quality finish is required. They are made from natural or synthetic bristles, or a mixture of the two, fixed to a wooden or plastic handle with a ferrule, usually made of steel. The most commonly available sizes are: 12mm (1/2in), 25mm (1in), 38mm (11/2in), 50mm (2in), 62mm (21/2in), 75mm (3in) and 100mm (4in) wide but 6mm (1/4in), 16mm (5/8 in) and 19mm (3/4in) versions are also to be found. The bristles are tapered so that when they are loaded they give the brush a sharp ‘cutting edge’.

Cutting-in brushes:

sometimes called window brushes, these are flat paint brushes that have the ends of the bristles angled to make it easier to ‘cut in’ accurately when painting to a line on window frames or other areas.

Radiator brushes:

are used for painting awkward areas such as behind radiators. They have a flat paint brush head between 25 and 50mm (1 and 2in) wide, with a long, bendable wire handle emerging at right angles from the side. A short wooden handle is fixed to the end of this so the brush can be easily held.

Angle brushes:

have a solid handle about 300mm (12in) long from which the head emerges at an angle of between 30° and 45°. Some have a flat head about 38mm (11/2in) wide; others have a round head between 6mm (1/4in) and 19mm (3/4in) wide. They are also used for painting awkward corners but are less versatile than radiator brushes.

Stencil brushes:

are designed for the stippling action needed to produce a crisp outline when painting through a stencil. They have a short, round wooden handle and short, stiff bristles tightly bunched to give a round head between 6mm (1/4in) and 60mm (23/8in) in diameter.

Sash brushes:

are specially shaped for painting window frames but a standard 12-25mm (½-1 in) wide flat brush will do equally well.

Wall brushes:

these are for painting walls with emulsion paint and are often called emulsion brushes. They are extra large, flat paint brushes, normally 100, 125, 150 or even 175mm (4, 5, 6 or 7in) wide, but the bristles tend to be coarser and do not have the same degree of tapering; and the handles are usually stronger and more crudely shaped. Though many have steel ferrules, better-quality brushes have ferrules made from copper so they don’t rust when used with water-based paint.

Choosing the Right Paint Brush for the Job

Choosing Paint Rollers, Paint Pads and Paint Sprays

Looking After Paint Brushes and Paint Rollers

06. August 2011 by admin
Categories: Equipment, Painting | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Paint Brushes, Rollers and Pads


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: