Snoring: Causes of Snoring
Snoring is brought on by loss of muscle tension in the tongue and jaw. That’s why people tend to snore when lying on their backs – the jaw drops down and the tongue slides back. If the snorer’s partner pushes him onto his side the snoring will often stop.
Causes of snoring
Snoring has been blamed on:
• Drinking alcohol.
• Heavy meals.
• Enlarged adenoids or tonsils.
• After middle age, when muscles and tissues in the respiratory area loosen, there is often an increase in snoring.
Remedies worth trying
• Sleep on your side or front.
• Sew a small rubber ball, or something uncomfortable, into the back of the snorer’s pyjamas to prevent him lying on his back.
• Increase the humidity of the air in the bedroom by installing a humidifier.
• Avoid alcohol for several hours before going to bed.
• Diet to lose weight if you are too heavy.
• Give up smoking.
• Avoid heavy meals late in the evening.