Tools for Painting and Applying Paint

Paint may be applied to wood surfaces with a brush, a roller or a spray. The roller consists of a metal cylinder which is covered with lambswool; the revolving cylinder is mounted on an axle which is fitted into a wooden handle. The roller is used with a metal tray which is used to hold the paint. It is dipped lightly into the paint, rolled on the sloping end of the tray to spread the paint evently, and is then rolled on the surface of the work. When dealing with wood surfaces the use of a paint-roller is restricted to large flat areas, such as flush doors. A roller is not suitable for coating narrow surfaces or moulded edges; these are best painted with a brush. The paint-tray has notched legs which fit over the edge of the top step of a pair of steps. More information about paint-rollers is given later when dealing with the painting and distempering of walls and ceilings.

Paint-brushes are available in different sizes defined by the width where the bristles meet the ferrule — the band of tin-plate round the broadest part of the handle. The basic outfit should include a 1-in., 1-1/2-in., and 2-in. brush for general purposes. Wider brushes-3-in. and 4-in. — are used for painting large surfaces. A smaller brush than those listed will be required for dealing with edges of sash mouldings, and for awkward corners; this may be a 1/2-in. paintbrush, but the best tool for amateur use is a lining brush. A 1-in. lining tool is a brush with a thinner bunch of bristles than an ordinary paint-brush of the same size; the tips of the lining bristles are cut diagonally. The use of a lining brush enables the handyman to deal quickly and competently with ‘cutting in’ — the term applied to painting edges neatly. Purchase good quality brushes; the small extra expense will be found a wise investment. The tips of the bristles of a paint-brush should be rounded, not V-shaped varnish bristles.

Paint may also be applied with a spray. There are many different types of paint-sprays, including one type which works from a vacuum cleaner, another for which the pressure is derived from a foot pump, and commercial paint-sprays the air pressure for which is generated by a compressor. For general use the inexperienced will find an electrically powered paint-spray most suitable.

It comprises a detachable container of thick ribbed glass which is screwed to the head. Incorporated in the head, and operated by a switch in the pistol grip, is a vibrator which acts in the same way as a small pump. This forces air into the container so that the paint is forced up a tube at great pressure into the nozzle compartment, where it is blown out as a fine spray. A type of electrically-operated, vibrating-head paint-spray has an adjustment valve which regulates the strength of the spray, thus allowing it to be used for spraying fruit trees with insecticide and other similar jobs in addition to coating walls, ceilings and woodwork.

Most of the small jobs of interior decorating may be done just as quickly with a brush as with a paint-spray and use of a paint-spray involves masking the surfaces surrounding the area being sprayed. The inexperienced decorator will, in many cases, find masking advantageous when using a brush as well as a spray; this particularly applies to cutting in at the edges of window-panes and at the bottom edge of skirting-boards, where neat brush control is essential. A simple form of masking to ensure the painting of neat edges consists of using adhesive cellulose tape. This is simply attached to the edges of surrounding surfaces before the job is commenced and the tape is stripped off after the paint has hardened. Another method of masking when using a brush for cutting in edges, consists of a thin metal or stiff cardboard shield.

23. July 2011 by admin
Categories: Painting | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Tools for Painting and Applying Paint


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: